Thursday, June 16, 2022

Holbrook line: Francis Parsons 1647ish to whenever

 I've been frustrated for a long time in trying to find more information about Francis Parsons.  Since I am approaching the end of these sketches of our ancestors, he needs to be at least mentioned, even though I can't write even a brief sketch of him.  

The one seemingly undisputed fact that I can find documented proof for is that of his marriage to Eleanor Hitchman on May 10, 1671 it Wraxall, Somerset, England.  There are several candidates for his parents, none of which I can prove, but one set that at least has Somerset associations would be Francis Parsons and Elizabeth, perhaps Warde.  Francis Parsons and Susanna Atwoode also had a son named Francis of about the right age, but I can't connect them to Wraxall or to any nearby village.  Francis Parsons and Ann also had a son named Francis, but that son seems to have died in England in 1735 so I am tentatively ruling that couple out.  

Wraxall is a small village, now a suburb of Bristol, England.  It is a few miles inland from the coast, but would have had good access for exports from the port of Bristol.  The church there is a 12th century church (think Henry II of England's reign), and Francis likely would have attended here on a regular basis. 

There was a Francis Parsons who arrived in Maryland in 1671, but the daughter who is our ancestor was born at Durston, Somerset, in 1678, so either this isn't our Francis or he had returned to England for some reason.  We haven't yet identified when the family came to New Jersey, but that is apparently where they settled.  

I have an undocumented death date for daughter Frances in 1710 in Burlington, Burlington County, New Jersey, and another death date I can't verify for Francis himself of January 18, 1741, also at Burlington.  I have not located a will for Francis, but since he was in his 90's when he died, he was probably living with a child or grandchild.  

Based on this very sketchy information, I'm thinking it was likely that Francis was of a low social and economic status, perhaps a tenant farmer or servant to someone more powerful.  There is always the possibility that I will find records that prove otherwise, and that his will or estate records are  somewhere besides the New Jersey and Pennsylvania counties that I've checked.  The lack of available records for him makes us grateful for those many ancestors who did leave records.  

I'm hoping someone has had better luck than I've had, in documenting this ancestor, and will be willing to share their information!

The line of descent is:

Francis Parsons-Eleanor Hitchman

Frances Parsons-John Nations

John Nation-Bethiah Robins

Elizabeth Nation-Marmaduke Vickery

Jerretta Vickery-Joseph Nation

Elizabeth Nation-Christopher Myers

Phoebe Myers-Adam Brown

Phoebe Brown-Fremont Holbrook

Loren Holbrook-Etta Stanard

Gladys Holbrook-Richard Allen

Their descendants


No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't want to comment publicly? Feel free to email me: happygenealogydancingATgmailDOTcom. You can figure out what to do with the "AT" and the "DOT".