If you've guessed that I'm becoming a little frustrated with the Fee family, you might be right! There are so many of them with the same name, in the same geographical area, and I've not found adequate records on line to verify who belongs to which family. And to make matters worse, the Fee family intermarried with the Lakin family several times over several generations, and the Lakins are another hard nut to crack. So this is a very basic post, with not much to back it up and a lot of questions to ponder.
George Fee was born about 1701, probably in Maryland although on line trees say Ireland, the son of George and Elizabeth Jump Fee. He married Parnell Lakin, who is possibly the daughter of Joseph Lakin, an immigrant and the brother of Abraham Lakin. Many trees say that Parnell is the daughter of Abraham and Martha Lee Lakin, and that is also possible. George is said to have died in Washington County, Pennsylvania, but I have no further information as to when or where.
George and Parnell are said to have had four children. Of course, there may be more, or it's possible that George did not live a long life. And of course, there is confusion, starting with their first child. His name is Thomas, born about 1732, and died in 1816 in Henry County, Virginia. The problem is that George's father also had a son named Thomas, born in 1713 and died in 1800 in Clermont County, Ohio. Well, that's not a problem, except that both of these men named Thomas are said to have married Rachel Thrasher, the daughter of Benjamin and Margaret Hook Thrasher. That's not impossible, but it seems unlikely. Children attributed to Thomas are Thomas, Mary, Sarah, Henry, John, Rachel, Ruth, Thomas, and William. I have given up on trying to assign these children to the correct Thomas. All I can say is this family needs more work before I'm willing to enter any of them on my tree!
I'm on considerably more solid ground with Elizabeth, who married Joseph Lakin, although I'm not quite sure which Lakin-Joseph or Abraham- is Joseph's father. Elizabeth was born possibly about 1730, but more likely after Thomas's birth in 1732. There are at least four children born to this couple, including John, Samuel, Mary, and another John. Mary married John Simpson Aldridge, and I've written of the Aldridge family before.
Supposedly there was a son John, but I find no information whatsoever that I can even begin to think "maybe". Perhaps he did not live long, or perhaps he disappeared into the forest of Pennsylvania/Virginia and never returned home. Or perhaps there are more records that need to be reviewed.
Finally, there is Rachel, born in 1739 and died in 1811 in Montgomery County, Maryland. She married Benjamin Lakin, who is a son of Abraham and Martha Lee Lakin. Their children are William, Elizabeth, Thomas, John, Benjamin, Joseph, James, and Rachel.
This may or may not be a complete listing of the children of George and Elizabeth. I find it somewhat disconcerting, based on naming patterns, that there are no grandchildren named Abraham and only one named Joseph. Yet there are several named John. Where does a John fit into this family? Is it just a coincidence, or is there a John that needs to be acknowledged somewhere? And if so, is he a Fee, or a Lakin?
This is the last of the posts of the Fee family, ancestors to the Beeks family. I must admit, I'm glad and I certainly hope my next family posts will be less confusing and better documented!
No comments:
Post a Comment
Don't want to comment publicly? Feel free to email me: happygenealogydancingATgmailDOTcom. You can figure out what to do with the "AT" and the "DOT".