Thursday, August 24, 2023

The family of John Whittemore 1685-1748

I've written of this John Whittemore, known as Captain John Whittemore, earlier and I still am fascinated with this man.  I would still love to know more of his life and his travels.  He was a "mariner" for many years, which apparently earned him the title of Captain, and he lived in Boston prior to the American Revolution, when it was still a very British colony.  There are so many questions I'd like to ask him!

However, we do know that his parents are John and Elizabeth Annable Whittemore, that he was born December 23, 1685 in Charlestown, Massachusetts, and that he died April 21, 1748 in Boston.  He was married in 1711 to Elizabeth Lloyd, daughter of Edward and Hannah Griffin Lloyd.   Elizabeth died in 1746.

John and Elizabeth had at least four children together.

John was born in 1714 and married Lydia Clough, the daughter of Benjamin and Faith Hart Clough.  Their known children are John, William, and Josiah.  I will write more of this family in my next post.

Elizabeth was born in 1716, and married Nathaniel Breed, the son of Nathaniel and Sarah Davis Breed.  They had two children, Nathaniel and Elizabeth.  Nathaniel died in 1744 and Elizabeth then married Anthony Sigourney, the son of Andrew and Mary Germaine Sigourney.  Elizabeth and Andrew had two children, Anthony and Andrew. Elizabeth died in 1804.  Full disclosure: Some trees are showing that this Elizabeth Whittemore was the daughter of another Whittemore family, but from the limited evidence I have, I think it more likely that I have placed her correctly.  I'd love to see documentation one way or the other.  

Edward was born in 1718.  He married Sarah Gridley, who may be a daughter of John Gridley.  They had two children, Edward and Elizabeth.  Edward died in 1772.

And then there was Sarah, born in 1720.  She died as an infant, in 1721.

This is a short post because it's a small family.  John and Elizabeth became the grandparents of just 9 grandchildren, in contrast to many of the other families I've written of.   Nevertheless, John had one of the more interesting (to me) occupations and lived in a location that has long felt like home to me.  It's been fun to travel back in time, even just to see John and Elizabeth at a distance.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't want to comment publicly? Feel free to email me: happygenealogydancingATgmailDOTcom. You can figure out what to do with the "AT" and the "DOT".