Thursday, April 13, 2023

The family of Elisha Eddy 1710-1764

There are still plenty of mysteries about Elisha Eddy, whom I've previously written about.  In this series of blog posts, I've been working on identifying the children, who the children married, and the names of the grandchildren.  But in looking at these brief facts about Elisha, I've noticed that he married in 1734 but his first known child wasn't born until 1748.  What is the rest of the story?  Was there a series of unsuccessful pregnancies?  Was his Sarah too ill, or injured, to conceive?  I wonder if we'll ever know.

To return to the usual construction of these posts, Elisha was the son of Zachariah and Amphillis Smith Eddy, born in 1710 and died in 1764.  He married Sarah Phetteplace, the daughter of Walter and Joanna Mowry Phetteplace in 1734.  The couple is known to have had four children.

Enos was born in 1748 and married Sarah Brown, the daughter of Othniel and Deborah Brown Brown.  They had four children, George, Enos, Sarah, and Rebecca.  I'll write more about this family in my nextg blog post.  

Jesse was born in 1751 and died in 1826.  He married Lydia Brown, the daughter of Jeremiah and Abigail last name unknown Brown.  Jeremiah was a descendant of Chad Brown, as were both Othniel and Deborah, the parents of Sarah Brown mentioned above.  Their children were Levi, Daniel, Lydia, Abigail, and Jesse.

Amasa was born in 1754 and died in 1843.  He married Abigail Harrington, the daughter of Benjamin and Elizabeth Pierce Harrington.  THeir children are Marcy, Elisha, Stephen, John, Amasa, Anna, and Abigail.

There was also a son Stephen but I have not been able to identify him further.  Quite a few trees show him married to a Zerviah Ross, but this appears to be a different Stephen, as he was born in 1734 in Essex County, Massachusetts, and all of Elisha's family are from Glocester, Rhode Island.  It is more likely that Stephen died young, but whether as an infant or a child or a young adult, I cannot say.  

I have found no records that indicate that any of these boys/men served in the Revolutionary War.  We know that son Enos was jailed for his opposition to the war and perhaps Jesse and Amasa shared his views.  If someone reading this has relevant information about anyone I've mentioned here, I would love it if you'd comment or send me an email.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't want to comment publicly? Feel free to email me: happygenealogydancingATgmailDOTcom. You can figure out what to do with the "AT" and the "DOT".