Monday, August 15, 2022

Oh dear: Corrections to be made

 Well, I did it again.  Somewhere in my early days of genealogy, I trusted an untrustworthy second hand source.  I've now found better information, with good citations, done by trusted genealogists, and need to demote some people from "ancestor" to "former ancestor".  In other words, they need to be deleted from my tree, and blog posts need to be updated to note the error.  I will leave the posts up because I believe the information to be basically correct, except for the father of, son of, aspect of it.  

Sadly, I need to delete Edward Doty, who came on the Mayflower and was certainly an interesting character.  I'm sort of glad he is not our interesting character, though.  Samuel Doty is no longer in our tree.  Thurston Clarke is no longer in our tree.  James Harmon is no longer in our tree.  And Josiah Standish was not married to Sarah Doty; he was married to Sarah Cary or Carey, the daughter of John Cary.  

The good news is that now I have a few more names to research, such as John Cary.  And that means another ancestor post at some point.

I will be posting on the occasional Tuesday, I guess, when I find that a post I've done is incorrect, and when I find new ancestors.  My Friday posts will continue to put our ancestors in their context as heads of families, and show connections to other ancestors when I find them.

I am very sorry that I published incorrect information, but I was happy to research these men who are now "former ancestors".  I learned things I wouldn't otherwise have known, and that is always a good thing. 


1 comment:

  1. Welcome to the Former Ancestors Club! I had to do that with my Judith Haskell a few months back and lost both Rev. John White and Rev. John Wise from my tree. John Wise's house in Mass. is still standing from the 1600s! My info came from a town clerk - who didn't realize that there were cousins Judith Haskell, only a few months apart in age living in the same town.

    ReplyDelete

Don't want to comment publicly? Feel free to email me: happygenealogydancingATgmailDOTcom. You can figure out what to do with the "AT" and the "DOT".