Wednesday, October 7, 2020

Allen line: Samuel Smith and Elizabeth Smith corrections

 I wrote a post earlier about Samuel Smith and Elizabeth Smith, but recently articles in The Register, a publication of the New England Historic Genealogical Society, have proved me wrong.  I recommend that you get the last three issues of this journal and see for yourself all the information that Myrtle Stevens Hyde has laid out there, that will take some of Elizabeth's family back for several generations.  

However, these bare facts need to be corrected in my post.  Samuel Smith's parents were John and Mary Gardner Smith, of Burstall, Suffolk, England.  Elizabeth Smith's parents were Philip and Ann Grymwade Smith, who died in Whatfield, Suffolk, England.  He was born in 1601 and she was born in 1599.

For the rest of the stories, please reference The Register.  I apologize for the errors in my tree and in my post, and I am grateful to now have the correct information. 

2 comments:

  1. I am also descended from Samuel and Elizabeth and have been thrilled to see this article in the Register. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thrilled, too, even though it meant I had to delete several hundred names back to Henry I of England from my tree. I'd rather have a handful of correct names than a tree full of wrong ones. These families fascinate me because they can be traced so far back, and they are not even connected to royalty or nobility. It was good to hear from you again, Linda!

      Delete

Don't want to comment publicly? Feel free to email me: happygenealogydancingATgmailDOTcom. You can figure out what to do with the "AT" and the "DOT".