Friday, May 8, 2020

Holbrook line: Another Ebenezer Thayer 1699-1771

I had something of a genealogy scare when I started researching for this post.  I saw that there are several trees that give different parents for our Ebenezer than I had thought correct.  So I spent some time going through what records I could find on line and ended up confident that the parents I'm showing are more likely to be correct than the ones others are showing.  Whew!  I let my breath out when I came to my conclusion, because I've made enough errors already and don't want to perpetuate any more. 

So, Ebenezer Thayer was born April 12, 1699 in Mendon, Massachusetts, the son of Ebenezer and Martha Thomson Thayer.  (I wrote about Ebenezer Senior recently, with never a thought that he might be the wrong guy.)  Ebenezer, the subject of this post, had at least two brothers and four sisters, named in his father's will in 1722 (father was of Bellingham then).  Bellingham was formed out of Mendon and it appears that at least some of the family land was on the border between the two towns, but the main dwelling house was part of Bellingham. 

Our Ebenezer married Mary Wheelock on August 9, 1721.  She was the daughter of Benjamin and Huldah Thayer Wheelock, and yes, there was a family connection between Ebenezer and Huldah.  The two were first cousins once removed.  When Ebenezer Senior died in 1722, he left a lot of land and other assets, to the value of about 795 pounds.  Ebenezer, as the oldest son, received a double share and it looks like he would have been set for life. 

Then it gets confusing, and I've not been able to find a will to give answers.  Mary, the wife of Ebenezer, is said to have died in 1731 and Ebenezer is said to have married Hannah Greene in 1734 and fathered more children with her.  I can't find a record of Mary's death or of the marriage of Ebenezer and Hannah, so I'm confused.  I don't know whether the Ebenezer who married Hannah was ours or not.  Some of the printed genealogies say that it was an Ebenezer who was born in 1720 who married Hannah, and that makes no sense either.  There was an Ebenezer who was born to Isaac Thayer in 1697; could it have been this Ebenezer who married Hannah?

And yet, there are just three records of births to Ebenezer and Mary in the town records...so what really happened? 

Another point of confusion is the use of the term "Captain" in 1754.  Which Ebenezer was this?  And how did he obtain the title of "Captain"/  What military service might this person have been part of?  The most likely explanation, given the birth date of 1699 for our Ebenezer is that he was somehow involved in King George's War,but I've found no evidence for that yet. 

There was only one Ebenezer who was taxed in 1726 in Bellingham, one who was qualified in 1739 to be a voter (implying land ownership and church membership, I believe).  His name is on a petition asking to be assigned to Mendon II district for ecclesiastical affairs, in 1747.  I know that Mendon had a serious church problem as did Bellingham, as the church in Bellingham was Baptist.  Perhaps Ebenezer was not of that persuasion and wanted to go to a more traditional church. 

Since I can't find a will or estate papers for Ebenezer, I don't know whether he held on to some of his father's wealth or not.  Farming in that area of Massachusetts was difficult as the soil was not suited for farming, or at least not easily farmed.  Was his will taken by someone who wanted it for personal reasons, or did he never have a will?  But shouldn't he at least had a probate record?

I'd like to know about Ebenezer, of course.  Did Mary die and did her remarry?  Where are Mary's death records?  What were his religious beliefs, and how did he acquire the title of "Captain", if this man is ours?  I sure hope someone who has studied this family will have some answers and be willing to help us learn more of our ancestor's story.

The line of descent is:
Ebenezer Thayer-Mary Wheelock
Abigail Thayer-Jesse Holbrook
Amariah Holbrook-Molly Wright
Nahum Holbrook-Susanna Rockwood
Joseph Holbrook-Mary Elizabeth Whittemore
Fremont Holbrook-Phoebe Brown
Loren Holbrook-Etta Stanard
Gladys Holbrook-Richard Allen
Their descendants

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't want to comment publicly? Feel free to email me: happygenealogydancingATgmailDOTcom. You can figure out what to do with the "AT" and the "DOT".