Friday, June 14, 2019

Holbrook line: Andreas Zimmerman, Immigrant

Sometimes I have a lot of information to put into a blog polizst, and sometimes, "I got nuttin".  The latter is the case today.  I'm writing this post mostly in the hopes that someone will  help straighten me out, because honestly, I'm not sure that Andreas Zimmerman is our ancestor.  Lots of sites say that he is, but I can't find anything that connects Andreas to our known ancestor, Anna Elizabeth Zimmerman, who married Johann Jacob Hetrick.  Surely someone has some documentation that connects Anna Elizabeth to Andreas? 

In fact, the problems start with Anna Elizabeth's birth or baptism date.  When I actually look at the records, the date frequently quoted is the date Anna Margaretha was christened.  I can't find such a record for Anna Elisabetha.  There is an Anna Elizabetha born two years earlier, in a different place, and her mother's name is given as Anna Margaretha, with a father's name of Zimmerman, but I haven't been able to trace her down. 

So all I will say about Andreas is that he was born in or about 1672, and he married Anna Elizabetha Mueller on April 24, 1703, again with no documents to support that statement.  He and his wife came to Pennsylvania in 1727 (actually, we're not sure she came with him but it appears likely) and they settled at or near Pine Grove, in what is now Schuylkill County, Pennsylvania.  This would have been very much frontier country, which is where many of the German immigrants headed.  Andreas must have worked very hard there, but I've not found his name in any of the early Pennsylvania land records, so I don't know whether he owned land. I've also not located his name in church records, but this was very early in the settlement of Pennsylvania and records for the frontier are scarce. 

The next thing I know about Andreas is that he died in 1733, and his wife died in 1740.  I have a list that shows this couple with 10 children, all born in Germany, but I don't know whether or not it is accurate, or complete.  I haven't found a will, or a cemetery, or anything that helps me anchor this man to a definite time and place.  It's frustrating!  Surely someone knows something!

If you can help prove or disprove this line, I would be very glad to hear from you!

The supposed line of descent is:

Andreas Zimmerman-Anna Elisabetha Mueller
Anna Elizabetha Zimmerman-Johan Abraham Hetrick
Johan Jacob Hetrick-Anna Elizabeth Nuss
Abraham Hetrick-Sarah Lemmon
Isaac Hetrick-Elizabeth Black
Mary Alice Hetrick-Louis Stanard
Etta Stanard-Loren Holbrook
Gladys Holbrook-Richard Allen
Their descendants




No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't want to comment publicly? Feel free to email me: happygenealogydancingATgmailDOTcom. You can figure out what to do with the "AT" and the "DOT".