Tuesday, April 2, 2019

Holbrook line: Edward Lloyd, of Boston

I'm in trouble with this post, and hope someone will read it, weep, and then contact me with the correct information.  Some of this is fact and some is a wild guess; I'll try to make clear which is which. 

Here's what I think I know:  Edward Loyd, Lloyd or Lyde, was living in Boston, Massachusetts when he married Hannah Griffin in 1677 in Concord, Massachusetts Bay Colony,  He was a mariner by trade, according to his will, and at the time he wrote his will said he was of Boston.  There is a note to the side that said "Jamaica" but I don't know if there was a section of Boston known as Jamaica that early, or whether this was a note that Edward had actually died in Jamaica, on one of his voyages.  The will, which was probated in 1704, mentioned his wife, not by name, and two daughters, Hannah and Elizabeth.  The court documents explain that his wife's name was Mary.

This is where it gets confusing.  Perhaps our Edward Loyd was not the husband of Hannah Griffin.  Perhaps he was the husband of Mary Wheelwright, married in 1660 in Boston.  Mary's father, John Wheelwright, left land in England to his grandson, Edward Loyd or Lyde when he died.  Is this Edward Lyde our Edward Lloyd?  Mary Atkinson had a son, Edward Lloyd, baptized at Old South Church in Boston in 1674.  By then she had been a widow, for the second time, for about 7 years but this is the first I can find of an Edward Lloyd who might fit into this family.  Does he also fit into ours?  I'm not sure.

All we really know is that our Edward was the father of two girls and had a wife, Mary, when he died.  We know his estate was valued at about 77 pounds, including 75 gallons of "Rhum", and a sugar loaf.  He also had an old Bible.  The rum makes one wonder...why did he have this much on hand?  Was he a small time merchant, or did he expect to sell the rum to another party?  Had he purchased the rum in Jamaica or some other Caribbean port?  He apparently owned no land or buildings when he died. 

So, the question is, are these Edward Lloyd's the same person?  Was the  Edward who married Hannah Griffin a descendant of the Edward who married Mary Wheelwright?  Or were these two entirely separate families, with only the common name in common? 

Perhaps I shouldn't have written anything until I had this better figured out.  But if I don't ask for help on this, I may never find our answers.  Besides, I like to write about men who were mariners, who had a bit of mystery about them.  I will definitely be keeping an eye out for Edward Lloyd, as I continue to work to tell the stories of our ancestors. 

The line of descent is:

Edward Loyd-Hannah Griffin
Elizabeth Lloyd-John Whittemore
John Whittemore-Lydia Clough
Josiah Whittemore-Lucy Snow
Josiah Whittemore-Betsy Foster
Mary Elizabeth Whittemore-Joseph Holbrook
Fremont Holbrook-Phoebe Brown
Loren Holbrook-Etta Stanard
Gladys Holbrook-Richard Allen
Their descendants

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't want to comment publicly? Feel free to email me: happygenealogydancingATgmailDOTcom. You can figure out what to do with the "AT" and the "DOT".