Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Beeks line: John William Teague

I don't know enough about this man to write about him, but I'm hoping that by posting the little bit I think I know, someone will see this and recognize him as belonging to their family.

Part of the reason things are so confused about John, or William, or John William, as the case may be, is that there are several people by those names and it appears that their trees have been mixed up just about everywhere I looked.  I am doubtful that this is the Teague family that went to North Carolina, although it's possible they share the same ancestors. 

William Teague was in Shelby County, Kentucky by 1797.  His daughter Elizabeth married William Lock on December 25,1797 in Shelby County, and William is on the tax list for Shelby County in 1800.  His wife's name is believed to be Elizabeth, but that is all I have learned about her.  Since Elizabeth was 20 years old in 1797, that would put William as being born possibly from 1730-1755 or so. 

The Lock family, as much of early Shelby County, was "Low Dutch", meaning they originally came from the Netherlands.  It is quite possible that the Teagues were originally Tagues that came from this same region, but I've not located records that show them travelling with the original Low Dutch who were in Kentucky as early as 1780.

I have located several Teagues in Frederick County, Virginia in the 1750's, and it's quite possible that this William was a son or brother to one of these men.  Their names were Edward, Moses, and Peter, and at least one reference, undocumented, is found to this William being the son of Peter.  I've also seen speculation that this family came from Ireland, which would send us in an entirely different direction.

Even though we don't know much about William or John William, he would have been of the right age to have served in the Revolutionary War, likely as a militia.  If he wasn't in the war, he would certainly have been affected by it.  We know that at least some of his family went on to Switzerland County, Indiana, where there are records of John Tague or Teague as entryman in 1819 and 1825.  This may have been the John Tague in the 1820 census in Cotton Township, Switzerland County, who is shown as being over 45 years of age.  This household had 6 persons under the age of 16, plus John and a woman 26-44.  Only one person was engaged in agriculture.  The ages don't really fit a man born about 1750, but perhaps he was raising grandchildren with the help of a daughter or daughter in law.

This is all we know or even suspect about this man.  I'd love to hear from someone who knows more, even it if is just one little clue that could prove or disprove some of this speculation.  What we do know is that he is a part of the Beeks heritage, and deserves to be remembered.

The line of descent is:

John William Teague-Elizabeth
Elizabeth Teague-William Lock
Sally Lock-Jeremiah Folsom
Leah Folsom-Darlington Aldridge
Harvey Aldridge-Margaret Catherine Dunham
Cleo Aldridge-Wilbur Beeks
Mary Margaret Beeks-Cleveland Harshbarger
Their descendants


2 comments:

  1. Hello Janice! My name is Angelina Tague McGahuey, and John William Teague is my 6x GGF. My father's name is Robert Tague, and our 4x GGF (George Washington Tague) change our last name from Teague to Tague. It was suspected that my 5x GGF (Robert Tague/Teague was illiterate, documented by Joseph Teague their attorney. Do to bad documents on my father's direct male line, we had him YDNA tested, and that came back even more confusing. Out of all his YDNA matches, only 1 had the "Tague" name, and he was a really close family member. All of the other surnames point to a several name changes for whatever the reasons may be. This line is a work in progress for my family, and I hope to share the results with you someday. By for now, 6th cousin 1x removed. Oh, welcome to our big family tree!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For some reason, I haven't seen your note until now. I am really intrigued by your comments and of course I wonder where I should be looking. Did your earliest known Tague or Teague have connections to Shelby County Kentucky or to Virginia, that you know of? Thanks for finding this blog and I'm sorry about the slow reply!

      Delete

Don't want to comment publicly? Feel free to email me: happygenealogydancingATgmailDOTcom. You can figure out what to do with the "AT" and the "DOT".