Friday, April 8, 2016

Harshbarger line: Henry Matthias Braun died 1814

Usually I have enough information about an ancestor to write at least a few paragraphs.  I'm not sure I have enough for a few sentences about this gentleman, so this is mainly a plea for help.

Henry Matthias Braun is believed to have been born before 1750 in either Sachsen, Germany or in Bedford County, Pa.  His parents are stated to be Heinrich and Anna Maria Catherine Rau Braun.  In searching my usual sources, I can't verify either the date or the names of his parents.  If these are his parents, then Heinrich would actually be the immigrant.  So far, I'm lacking documentation to go back further.

Matthias married Maria Salome Hoerner in 1769 in Frederick County, Maryland.  Children were apparently born in Maryland, in Bedford County, Pa and possibly in Lancaster County, Pa. David Braun or Brown is believed to be one of their children, but I would certainly like to find documentation for that.  If he was born in Lancaster County, then I would have to question whether Matthias and Maria Salome are actually his parents, or I'd like to find out what his parents were doing there. 

Matthias and Maria Salome had eight children together, and died in Woodbury Township, Bedford County, Pa, he in 1814 and she in 1810.

That, so far, is what I "know" about this ancestor, which isn't much.  His age is such that he may have served in the Revolutionary War, but I'm not locating a card in the Pennsylvania Archives that I can say is surely his, although there is a Henirch Braun in the 4th US Artillery, among other possibilities.
I would love to know how he made his living, what church he attended, and where his property, if any, was.  I'd also love to find a will or probate papers. 

If someone out there knows more about this gentleman, I would love to hear from you!  My email is happygenealogydancingATgmailDOTcom.

The line of descent is:

Henry Matthias Braun-Maria Salome Hoerner
David Brown-Barbara Brothers
Elizabeth Brown-William Cook
Barbara Cook-William A Withers
Wiliam H Withers-Della Kemery
Goldie Withers-Grover Harshbarger
Cleveland Harshbarger-Mary Margaret Beeks
Their descendants

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't want to comment publicly? Feel free to email me: happygenealogydancingATgmailDOTcom. You can figure out what to do with the "AT" and the "DOT".