Friday, October 2, 2015

Harshbarger line: Summing up the brick walls

I've written now (I think) about every Harshbarger ancestor I've found, or at least of the one highest up on the family tree, or the immigrant.  I'm at a loss as to how to continue writing Harshbarger posts.  For now, I'll once again highlight the "opportunities" aka brick walls I have in this family.  I hope someone will contact me with information or clues about each of these folks.  Even though this is husband's family, not mine, I have come to respect these folks and I want to honor them by learning their place in the world and in their families.  I'll start here, in alphabetical order. 

The first is Caleb Bennett, born about 1765 and died in 1841 in Clark or Miami County, Ohio.  His parents are usually given as Charles Bennett and Martha Collins, but I can't find documentation for that, so I've removed them from the tree.  If someone has proof that Charles was his father, I'd love to know about it.  Caleb married Ann Catherine Wilson on November 8, 1785, possibly in what is now West Virginia. 

Second one is Nicholas Cocke, who was in Virginia by 1660 and whose wife was Jane widow Curtis.  Were his parents Nicholas Cocke and Elizabeth Lower?  Did the elder Nicholas really come to Virginia about 1660, or was he here earlier?  Who was Jane widow Curtis? I'm confused about this, but I'd love to know more.  These early Virginia settlers intrigue me.

And finally, for this round, Henry Cook or Koch.  He was born about 1794 in Berks County, Pa and married Catherine Whetstone or Wetstein who was also from Berks County (locations are per their wills.)  Henry died in 1861 in Whitley County, Indiana and Catherine died August 19, 1887, probably in Whitley County as that is where her will was filed. My file of possibilities for his parents is quite thick, but I have not been able to track Henry (or Catherine) back any further and would love to have some help or at least some sympathy on this one.

So ends this segment of brick walls, but the wall goes on much longer.  I'd love to hear from anyone who is working on these families.  My email is happygenealogydancingATgmailDOTcom.

 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't want to comment publicly? Feel free to email me: happygenealogydancingATgmailDOTcom. You can figure out what to do with the "AT" and the "DOT".