Thursday, November 9, 2023

The mysterious family of Jacob Wise 1767-1829

 I know next to nothing of this family, and am left with just a few people of interest, basically.  It's hardly enough for a "wanted" poster.  If anyone can help with the children of Jacob and Charlotte, I'd be most grateful!  

Johan Jacob Wise was born in 1767, the son of Felix and Anna Maria Weiss, and died in January of 1829 in Shelby County, Ohio.  (As I mentioned in my last blog post, I am not at all sure of Anna Maria's maiden name.  She is usually shown as van Buskirk, but she married a van Buskirk after Felix's death.  That doesn't necessarily rule out a van Buskirk couple as her parents, but I haven't found any hint of them yet.)  He married Charlotte Raub, the daughter of Andreas (Andrew) and Maria Charlotta Weber Raub.  She was from New Jersey, and their first son, Peter, is said to have been born in Knowlton Township, Sussex County, New Jersey in 1791.  

That is as much as I know for sure about Peter-he was born.  Different trees give him different wives, but none make geographical sense to me at the moment, and I don't have a guess for what happened to him.  

Jacob was born in 1794 and died in 1819 in Shelby County, Ohio.  His wife is Elizabeth Harshbarger Phillips, and they had one child, Jackson.  

Andrew was born in 1796 and died in 1868 in Wabash County, Indiana.  He married Mary Serfass, the daughter of George Philip and Eva maiden name unknown Serfass.  Their children are John, Samuel, Elizabeth, David, and possibly Mary.  I will follow this family in my next post.  

Samuel Wise is reported to have been mentioned in Jacob's will, but the relationship is not clear.  Is he a son?  There is a Samuel Wise in the 1830 census in Newbury Township, Miami County, Ohio (bordering Shelby County) who would have been born sometime in the 1800-1809 decade, but I am not sure this is the same man.  I am intrigued by the marriage of Samuel Wise to Malinda Enos in Shelby County, Ohio on November 24, 1828.  If this is our man in the 1830 census, Malinda was quite young when she married, as the oldest female is 15-19.  By the 1840 census, there were 6 children in the family, all under 10.  I'd love to know more!

I have seen a tree giving two additional children for this family.  Joseph Wise married Nancy Hicks on May 14, 1822.  I am unable to trace him further.

John Wise married Polly Danner, the daughter of Leonard and Catherine Harmon Wise in Miami County on August 27, 1818.  Again, I am unable to trace him further.  Andrew did name a son John, perhaps for his brother, but this is speculation.

As you can see, this family needs much more work.  It's one of many projects on my to-do list, but if you can help, I would be so pleased. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't want to comment publicly? Feel free to email me: happygenealogydancingATgmailDOTcom. You can figure out what to do with the "AT" and the "DOT".