Thursday, November 18, 2021

Beeks line: Thomas Aldridge 1680-1726

 I've so far assembled very few facts for Thomas Aldridge.  Most of what I know could be summarized in one paragraph, but even though I don't know a lot about him, he's important in the Beeks family line and deserves at least a few lines until I can uncover more information.

Thomas Aldridge was born or baptized November 5, 1680 in Anne Arundel County, Maryland.  His parents were Nicholas and Martha Besson Aldridge, and he was the first of the couple's ten known children. He was likely named for Martha's father, Thomas Besson, who had passed away in 1679, about the time that Nicholas and Martha were married.  

Nicholas's land was on the South River in Anne Arundel County, and it is likely that Thomas, as the oldest son, inherited the land but I've not yet found records for that.  The South River is south of Annapolis, and empties into the Chesapeake Bay, so Thomas would have had ample opportunity for both hunting and fishing during his early years.  I speculated in the post I wrote about Nicholas that he was probably a tobacco farmer, and that he may well have held slaves.  The same holds true for Thomas, but I don't have any records to say "yay" or "nay" to this supposition.

Thomas married Elizabeth Purdy, daughter of Johan and Mary (maiden name unknown) Purdy, on July 15, 1703 at All Hallows Parish, Anne Arundel County.  This church had been established some years earlier, and it was Anglican (Church of England, now Episcopalian) in belief and practice.  This was a very different religious and social environment from other Beeks ancestors, who lived further north and were Quaker, or Baptist, or Puritan, or Dutch Reformed, in belief.  

Thomas and Elizabeth had at least seven children, all baptized at All Hallows Church.  We don't know how regular their attendance was, nor have I learned what their assigned seats (assuming this church assigned seats, which is probable) were.  That information would help us determine their social status in the community.

As far as I've learned so far, Thomas seems not to have been active in civic or military service.  Control was in the hands of a wealthy few, and Thomas may not have belonged to the top echelon.  

Thomas probably died in December of 1726.  Some trees use December 1762 but I suspect that is a typographical error.  I've not found a will so I can't make any kind of judgement, but I will keep looking.  We do know that the last known child was born in 1723, but that may be because Elizabeth had reached the end of her child-bearing years.  (There was a Thomas Aldridge in Baltimore County who died in 1714.  I have been unable to identify him but none of the names mentioned in that will correspond with our Thomas's known children.)

This is as much as I know or suppose about Thomas Aldridge.  I like to think that he lived a happy life, providing for his family and enjoying his beautiful surroundings, with time to fish or hunt as he wished.  I appreciate knowing that his descendants fought in the American Revolution, eventually released their slaves, and contributed to America's growth.  But I'd sure like to find some more facts!

The line of descent is

Thomas Aldridge-Elizabeth Purdy

John Aldridge-Eleanor probably Watkins

Jacob Aldridge-Elizabeth Soper

John Simpson Aldridge-Mary Lakin

John Simpson Aldridge-Lucinda Wheeler

Darlington Aldridge-Leah Folsom

Harvey Aldridge-Margaret Catherine Dunham

Cleo Aldridge-Wilbur Beeks

Mary Beeks-Cleveland Harshbarger

Their descendants

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't want to comment publicly? Feel free to email me: happygenealogydancingATgmailDOTcom. You can figure out what to do with the "AT" and the "DOT".