Tuesday, April 30, 2019

Post 600: Elder Jonathan Wright and some observations

First, this is the 600th blog post I've written.  I didn't think I'd get this far or be able to write about so many ancestors but it's happened.  I still have a few more I think I can write about, and probably 40 or more who are still just names to me, and may remain that way.  I don't know whether I'll write 10 more blog posts, or 100 more, or somewhere in between but I can truly say I've loved every minute of this process, no matter how frustrated I sometimes get when researching.  Every day I either learn something new or find another question I need to ask...it's a never ending joy! 

I wanted to share just a little bit of what I've learned and thought and been grateful for by talking about Jonathan Wright.  As far as I know (haven't found documentation) he was born in 1686, married Mary, had several children including son Jonathan in 1717, was selected as elder of his church in 1733, and died in 1749.  From the birth of his son Jonathan onward, I do have documentation and he lived in Wrentham, Massachusetts, apparently in the part that later became Franklin.  That is pretty much what I knew about Jonathan from on line searches. 

But I want to know more about Jonathan, so I've spent 15 hours, so far, reading Wrentham town records that are only on line at FHL affiliates, and have found precious little more about him.  Two men named Fisher asked for permission to give him 10-15 acres of their land in 1710.  He would have been 24 years old at the time.  Why were they willing to help him get established?  I don't know the answer to that.  I haven't found a Fisher-Wright blood connection yet.  But I'm looking.  I have found his name on a tax (rate) list in 1721 and with a group of people who wanted to know exactly who was allowed to vote in town elections.  I've found that his home was used as a meeting place for a review of the boundaries between Bellingham and Wrentham.  And that's about it.  For fifteen hours of squinting and trying desperately to read faint or/and difficult handwriting, it may seem to not be a good return on my time investment. 

But this is what hundreds, if not thousands, of people have done to help provide the information that I've been able to use, in compiling brief stories of our ancestors.  This blog is possible mostly due to their hard work and generosity in sharing what they've learned.  Genealogists, historians, librarians and archivists, and various combinations of the above, have all helped make it possible for me to write these posts.  And that doesn't mention all the transcribers, indexers, photographers, and genealogy web site members, almost all of whom are volunteers and by definition, unpaid.  They do it for love, for the joy in knowing they've helped others, and in order to pay it forward, in thanks to those who have pointed the way.  I mustn't forget to mention spouses, who if they have not assisted in the search have at least tolerated it. 

So from Robert Charles Anderson and Douglas Richardson (two men whom I will never meet but who have given me much happiness) to local and internet heroes, to distant cousins, to my own husband, thank you for your contributions to this project.  I hope to make some of you just a little bit proud. 

We'll see what happens with this blog in the future.  If you've enjoyed it, that makes my heart happy! 

2 comments:

  1. 600!! Congratulations! That takes a great amount of time and dedication. I know that I've appreciated some of what you've presented here with our connected lines - Steele, Talcott, Lamb, Bird, maybe more. Thank you for your hard work, Janice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an incredible milestone! I've enjoyed reading your blog very much. I'm connected through the Lehew and Featheringill lines, so I'm not related to most of the people you've profiled, but I've still learned so much about the times they lived in and what type of information is out there. Thank you for all of your hard work on this blog through the years!

    ReplyDelete

Don't want to comment publicly? Feel free to email me: happygenealogydancingATgmailDOTcom. You can figure out what to do with the "AT" and the "DOT".