Friday, August 31, 2018

Holbrook line: John Thompson 1642-1715

OK, John Thompson is not quite an immigrant.  However, I'm no longer sure of the identity of his parents. I had a whole blog post written and ready to post about Simon Thompson, whom I believed to be his father.  I no longer believe that.  I've found several sources that appear to be authoritative saying his parents were John and Sarah (possibly Trevore) Thompson and his paternal grandparents were David and Amyas Cole Thomson.  These seem to be more likely for our John, and this is the way it is given in a published genealogy plus on line trees, so that's how we'll leave it for now.  It's important that I get this right, because we have two lines of descent from this man. 

I will say that John Thompson appears to have been born in 1642, although some sources say 1645, possibly in Dorchester.  So his parents were already here, and John Thompson and Sarah possibly Trevore would appear to have been here, and in the correct location.

Before 1663, John is believed to have lived at Weymouth, Massachusetts.  He married Thankful Woodland, daughter of John and Martha Woodland in about 1665, in Dorchester.  Some sources say the marriage occurred in Mendon, but Mendon was not yet a settlement so that appears unlikely.  The actual settlement of Mendon occurred in 1668, although there may have been a house or two before then. All 10 of their children were born in Mendon, and John and Thankful probably intended to live out their days there. 

Life wasn't as peaceful as it sounds, however.  The Thompsons left Mendon in late 1675 and went to Dorchester or one of the "safer" towns, due to the outbreak of King Philip's War.  Mendon suffered the first casualties of the war in 1675, and the natives returned to burn the town to the ground in early 1676.  The Thompsons were some of the earliest families to return to Mendon in 1677, and to start rebuilding their lives.

John was chosen surveyor for the town in 1680, the first such office to be filled since the burning of the town. He was also a town selectman, and is noted in some records as being an Ensign.  If so, he probably was involved in military action during King Philip's War. He may have lived until 1715, but I have not been able to locate a death record or a will.  

This is not much to define the life of a pioneer and a patriot.  I wish I had more information.  I wish I knew how he met his wife.  I wish I knew what stories his father must have told, about his amazing grandfather.  There is so much I'd life to know, but at least I can honor his name by writing this blog post.

The line of descent is:

John Thompson-Thankful Woodland
Martha Thompson-Ebenezer Thayer
Deborah Thayer-John Rockwood
Joseph Rockwood-Alice Thompson
Levi Rockwood-Deborah Lazell
Susannah Rockwood-Nahum Holbrook
Joseph Holbrook-Mary Elizabeth Whittemore
Fremont Holbrook-Phoebe Brown
Loren Holbrook-Etta Stanard
Gladys Holbrook-Richard Allen
Their descendants

The second line is:

John Thompson-Thankful Woodland
John Thompson-Hannah Wight
Joseph Thompson-Mary Holbrook
Alice Thompson-Joseph Rockwood (so they would be second cousins)
See above



No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't want to comment publicly? Feel free to email me: happygenealogydancingATgmailDOTcom. You can figure out what to do with the "AT" and the "DOT".