Tuesday, November 7, 2017

Allen line: Joseph Riley, possible Irishman, Immigrant

This post will be more a collection of ideas than a post of fact.  Please take anything you read here with a grain of salt.  I am trying to do more research to support this post but so far I'm coming up empty, and here is my deadline for writing this post.

I've written an earlier blog post about John Riley, and I think I had that one pretty much straight, but I could be wrong.  Joseph seems, at the present time, to be more in the way of a myth, since I can't find records right now to support what I have finding on line.  I'll post what I have found online here in the hopes that this will give us some clues as to where to look, or perhaps someone will recognize this man and be able to say, "No, he's not your guy, and here's why". 

The first surprising thing is that Joseph seems to have been born on December 12, 1598 in Dublin, Leinster, Ireland.  That is a bit unusual for our family, but stranger things have happened.  His parents may have been Jonathan Riley and Sarah, whose name is given in some places as Deming.  Deming is a good New England name but I'm not sure it's a good Irish name, so there is one of my hesitations with this tree. 

The next "fact" I find about Joseph is that he married Mary Wright on January 23,1624 in Eland, Yorkshire, England.  I am unable to figure out a really good reason that Joseph would have gone from Dublin to Yorkshire to marry, except, possibly, that his Riley grandparents, Daniel and Elizabeth Bist Riley, went from Yorkshire to Dublin.  So there is a slight possibility that he had family in the area.  it's also possible that Daniel and Elizabeth are also not factual. 

It seems that Joseph and Mary arrived in New England in the late 1620s, because supposedly their son Thomas was born in Wethersfield, Hartford Connecticut in 1630.  There's a problem here, however, as Wethersfield wasn't founded until 1822, quite a bit after our ancestor lived.  Also, the trees are showing that Joseph died in Massachusetts, possibly Westfield, Hampden County.  The problem with that is I have looked at those records (Westfield) and there are no Rileys at all listed there prior to, at least, 1700.

Joseph and Mary have been credited with at least five children:  John, Sarah, William, Daniel, and Elizabeth, with John presumably being the oldest and being born in Dublin.  However, I'm not finding records of the births of the children.

I would certainly like to find some documentation for this family. If they are from Dublin, then that makes them quite interesting people in our family.  If they are not from Dublin, where are they from?  And if John's parents aren't even Joseph and Mary, where do we go from here?

Do you see why sometimes it feels like banging one's head against a wall, in trying to verify "information"?  I don't want to mislead anyone into believing that much of anything here has been proven, at least not be me.  Yet, on the chance that this is correct, here we go:

The line of descent may be:

Joseph Riley-Mary Wright
John Riley-Grace Buck
John Riley-Margaret McCraney
Mary Riley-Joseph Ely
Mary Ely-Thomas Stebbins
Ruth Stebbins-Samuel Hitchcock
Margaret Hitchcock-Richard Falley
Samuel Falley-Ruth Root
Clarissa Falley-John Havens Starr
Harriet Starr-John Wilson Knott
Edith Knott-Edward Allen
Richard Allen-Gladys Holbrook
Their descendants



No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't want to comment publicly? Feel free to email me: happygenealogydancingATgmailDOTcom. You can figure out what to do with the "AT" and the "DOT".