Friday, July 14, 2017

Harshbarger line: Paul Hawn, another veteran to thank!

This is a short post because I am still trying to pull together the military records of Paul Hawn.  However, I've found enough to write a couple of paragraphs, maybe, and that is more than we knew before.  Paul Hawn is the son of Adrian Hawn and Goldie Withers.  Goldie later married Grover Harshbarger, so Paul and Cleve Harshbarger are half-brothers. 

I first learned that Paul had been in the Army when I found this brief mention in the Huntington Herald Press of October 11, 1944:

"Reports Saturday"

Pfc Paul W. Hawn, son of Mr. and Mrs. Grover Harshbarger of near Majenica, will leave Saturday for Minneapolis, Minn. to report for active duty after spending an extended furlough here.  He recently returned after 21 months' duty in Alaska."

This paragraph leads to several questions, but I have no answers at this point.  All I can really say is that he probably enlisted or was drafted in 1942, although it might have been earlier.  So far I'm not finding his military record.

I do know this much, I think.  He got out of the service, probably at the end of World War II, and then in 1948 he re-enlisted and stayed in the Army for 20 more years.  He is listed as having attained the rank of First Sargeant, and it's noted that he served in World War II,  Korea and Vietnam.  I wish I knew more about his service, when he was where and what he did in the Army.  However, this is what I have been able to locate and it's more information than I had when I woke up this morning. 

I did find a couple of pictures of Paul, as a freshman and sophomore attending Columbia City High School.  In 1930, he was living with his Withers grandparents (William and Della Kemery Withers), so it appears that he attended school there and if he graduated, graduated from that school.  I sure need to do more research on that, too! 

Paul died April 6. 1998, just 2 and 1/2 weeks after his half brother, Cleveland Harshbarger, died.    Paul's remains were cremated, and his ashes were buried at Arlington National Cemetery.  Thank you for your service, Paul Hawn!

If anyone in the Hawn family sees this, please contact me at happygenealogydancingATgmailDOTcom.  I'd love to know more about Paul!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't want to comment publicly? Feel free to email me: happygenealogydancingATgmailDOTcom. You can figure out what to do with the "AT" and the "DOT".