Friday, December 2, 2016

Harshbarger post: Daniel Schultz 1730-1820

This is a frustrating post to write.  I know nothing more of this man than the approximate birth and death dates for him.  I don't even have a death location. 

The only clues I have to Daniel Schultz's life are that he was married to a Catherine Walter and their daughter Elizabeth was born in Frederick County, Maryland in 1757.  I do know that Frederick County had a settlement of Germans and because Catherine is sometimes listed as Catherine Walterin, the feminine form of Walter, I suspect that this was a German family.  I would love to know when the families immigrated and where they were from. I also know there would be several variant spellings to the Schultz name, including Shultz.  That makes searching more challenging!

Other suspicions are that the family farmed, that it was larger than the one child I know of, and that they may have moved on by the time Daniel died, in 1820.  His daughter Elizabeth had died earlier in 1791, in Martinsburg, Virginia (now West Virginia) and it is possible that this is where we should be looking for Daniel.  After all, there were grandchildren to enjoy and to help raise!

Again, this is more of a place marker post, knowing that his story isn't told yet.  I hope others in his family will find this, and someone will contact me with other information, be it a scrap or a document or a place to look for records.  One Ancestry tree shows a Revolutionary War symbol, but there is no indication of whether he was a veteran, and if so, what group he was with.  I will start looking in the militia for Frederick County, for starters, but that may or may not prove fruitful.

When I know more, I will write more.

The line of descent is:

Daniel Schultz-Catherine Walter
Elizabeth Schultz-Jacob Geiger
Anthony Geiger-Mary Kirk
Elizabeth Geiger-George Harter Jr.
John Harter-Mary Bennett
Clara Harter-Emmanuel Harshbarger
Grover Harshbarger-Goldie Withers
Cleveland Harshbarger-Mary Margaret Beeks
Their descendants

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't want to comment publicly? Feel free to email me: happygenealogydancingATgmailDOTcom. You can figure out what to do with the "AT" and the "DOT".